Mike Rubin is an Area Representative for Fellowship of Christian Athletes in York County, PA. Prior to his time at FCA, he was a Children’s Ministry Director for seven years. He has coached high school, college, and elite showcase baseball. He is the proud husband to his wife Shannon and their two children beautiful Eli (7 years old), and Naomi (4 years old).
Coach Phil Albert was the head football coach for Towson University from 1972 to 1991. He was named “Coach of the Year” five times. He coached 28 All-Americans and four NFL players. While at Towson he led the Tigers to four trips to the NCAA playoffs including a trip to the Division III National Championship game in 1976. He led the Tiger program as it went from NCAA Division III to NCAA Division II and then NCAA Division I-AA. From 1994-2001 he worked with the San Diego Chargers organization as their advanced game-day scout. In 1994, Albert was inducted into the Towson Hall of Fame. He is the proud husband to Kay, his wife of 52 years, and has three grown children and eight grand children.
The Champions Podcast is where we share stories of faith being activated through sports. We will interview high school, college, professional and former professional coaches and players, many who were involved in the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. We will let them share their faith journey and also hear how FCA played a role in growing their foundation. We will find out how they navigated their faith, hear stories of their upbringing, and who played major roles in helping mentor them to get to where they are in their journey today. To learn more about FCA visit www.fca.org.
Financially champion FCA in York, PA
- Growing up in the projects and his mother being murdered when he was 10 months old
- By 11 years old, he was in a gang
- The basketball court was his refuge from a life of turmoil
- “Christianity is not about behavior modification, but heart transformation”
- “Salvation is not an event but a person”
- “Our job is to believe that God will do His job”
- “There’s so much pressure for winning, that coaches aren’t being present.”
- “Some plant, some water, but God gives the increase.”
- “Our job is to put the hands of menin the hands of God”
- “The cross was not a tragedy, it was an accomplishment”
- Mo shares about a year of depression and anxiety and how she was searching for, “Any sin sized piece to fill the God-sized hole in my heart.”
- She shared how God literally used wrecking her to capture her heart.
- Psalm 46:10- “Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.
- “Jesus didn’t die on the cross for my sins. He died on the cross BECAUSE of my sins”
- She shares about how one of the ways the enemy can distract us is by not allowing us to face any adversity so it causes us to not understand a need for God, Jesus or the still small voice.
- “At the core, I am a sinner in need of a savior”
- One question many of us ask is what does the faith walk cost me? It doesn’t matter cause look at what I gained.
- One of the places Mo gained community was through the Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA)
- “We are not just here, we are His.
- Verses that have impacted Mo
- Psalm 46:10- Be still and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.
- John 16:33- I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world, you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.
- Romans 5:3-5- Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.
- She shares about her journey trying out for LSU football
- We have another Eli Wants to Know and Coaches Corner.
In episode 7, Mike and his guest co-host and wife Shannon interview Mo Isom. Mo is a former LSU soccer star, and NY Times best selling author. She travels the world speaking and is also a blogger. Mo’s testimony is so incredible that we had to break this up into two parts. In part one, she shares how she handled the pressure of being a student-athlete at one of the top college programs in the country. The shares about the crazy highs and lows of her freshman year at LSU that included a 90-yard goal that landed her on SportsCenter’s Top 10 plays and the lows of her father taking his life while she was home for Christmas break and much more. Give it a listen, share with a friend, and please, leave a review!
In the sixth episode of the Champions Podcast hosts Mike Rubin and Coach Phil are joined by Ritchie Palacios, former Towson University baseball player and current member of the Cleveland Indians organization. Ritchie shares what it was like during draft day, how his faith grew during college, the benefits of having a brother who plays in professional baseball as well (Josh, with the Toronto Blue Jays organization), how he has relied on his faith while recovering from a torn labrum.
We also have another edition of Eli Wants to Know and Coaches Corner!